2023 Fireworks Guide for Decatur, IL
Here’s your ultimate 2023 fireworks guide for Decatur, IL and surrounding areas, including Peoria, Springfield, Mt. Zion, Effingham, Champaign, and more!
Your Guide to Medicare Parts A & B
Understanding your Medicare options is important, because making a decision without the facts can cost you money. See what Medicare, Medigap, and you – pay for.Get It Now
Nelson Park Fireworks Over Lake Decatur
Spend the 4th of July with the Decatur Park District! Here's a list of what's going on this year:
- Open swim from 12 – 6:30 p.m.
- Guest can receive a free carousel ride with paid admission.
- The zoo will be open from 9:30 – 6 p.m. with last admission at 5 p.m.
Overlook Adventure Park
- $6.75/ per person for a found of mini golf
- $13 per person for a 2-activity adventure pass at Overlook Adventure Park.
- Overlook will be open from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Over the Top Ice cream shop
- Open from noon – 9 p.m.
Devon Concert beginning at 7 p.m.
- Admission is $4 to see the
- Central IL band, Off the Wall
Fireworks at Nelson beginning at dusk!
- Partnership with The City of Decatur
Devon Amphitheater 4th of July Celebration
Dance the night away at the Devon Amphitheater on July 4th, starting at 6pm!
Enjoy live music from Central Illinois' own Off the Wall and fireworks after the show over Lake Decatur at dusk.
All tickets are just $4, and parking is $8.
Peoria, IL Fireworks Red, White, and Boom Show
Carle Health Red White and Boom is a massive fireworks display occurring at 9:30 p.m. on Tuesday, July 4 in the middle of the Illinois River, between East Peoria and Peoria. This display ranks among the top 2% in the nation.
Over 2,000 shells per minute will be launched from two barges, with the firework explosions choreographed to music on seven Midwest Communications radio stations.
This year is the 35th presentation of Red, White and Boom. Carle Health Red White and Boom is brought home by Adam Merrick Real Estate and open to everyone free of charge on both sides of the river.
- 5-8:30 p.m. - Food and beverages for purchase from the EPCHS Boosters and Kona Ice of Peoria
- 9 p.m. - Roads in area closed to traffic
- 9:25 p.m. - Pledge of Allegiance led by East Peoria Festival of Lights Queen Magge Cowen
- 9:30 to 10 p.m. - Fireworks display
Learn more about this event on the East Peoria Illinois website.
City of Springfield Fireworks Shows
If you’re looking for fireworks shows in the City of Springfield, there are lots of different events to choose from!
- June 30, 2023: Lake Springfield Marina – Rock the Dock, which will feature live music by Gracia Harrison & Company, as well as a variety of food vendors and cold drinks! Tickets will be $10 at the gate. 12 years of age and under are free.
- July 1, 2023: Capital City Celebration – the downtown Springfield fireworks! The celebration will kick off at 2:00 P.M. with a kid’s corner and entertainment through-out the day, including the Annual Patriotic Dog Pageant. Kapital Sound will take the stage from 8-11 with a break at dusk for Fireworks by the State Capitol Building.
- July 4, 2023: Knights Action Park at 1700 Recreation Dr. – July Fireworks with live music and a fireworks show!
Mt. Zion Blue Ribbon Night at Fletcher Park
On Monday, July 3, 2023, Mt. Zion is holding a free “Blue Ribbon Night” event that includes concessions, live music from Lady Luck, and fireworks at dusk.
This event is put on by the Village of Mt. Zion. It is an alcohol-free event, and no coolers are allowed.
City of Champaign Fireworks
On Tuesday, July 4, 2023, the Champaign County Freedom Celebration Committee will be holding an awesome day of fun.
Here's the itinerary for the day:
Youth Run – 8:30 AM
5K Run/Walk – 9:05 AM
Parade – 11:05 AM
Evening Entertainment – 7:00 PM
Fireworks – Dusk (~9:15 PM)
You can follow more information about this event on the Champaign County Freedom Celebration website.
City of Mt. Pulaski Fireworks
The city of Mt. Pulaski fireworks display will be held on Sunday, July 2, 2023 starting around dusk at Frazier Park (620 S. Spring Street, Mt. Pulaski, IL. ) with a rain date on July 9 at dusk.
City of Pleasant Plains Freedom Celebration
The Pleasant Plains Community Club is proud to present the PPCC Freedom Celebration event on Saturday, July 1, 2023. Food will be available for purchase starting at 5pm.
They are teaming up with the Fire Department again to offer a much larger selection. There will also be other local community groups with other options!
You can follow the Pleasant Plains Community Club on Facebook for more updates leading up to the celebration.
City of Athens Fireworks Display
The annual fireworks display will be held on July 2nd at the Athens Community Park. The Corner Cup will be at the concession stand at 8:00pm and giving the first 500 people free ice cream!
You can follow the city of Athens on Facebook for more information.
Coles County Fireworks in Mattoon
Coles County Fireworks at the Coles County Airport Authority is a free event on Tuesday, July 4th at 5pm.
Gates open at 5 pm. Shuttles from Mattoon' Cross County Mall and Charleston's O'Brien Stadium begin at 5 pm.
If you are driving you will enter where you exit. From the west, it is the airport’s main entrance, and from the east, you enter and exit at the 911 center.
As always, no pets, alcohol, or personal fireworks, including sparklers are allowed.
You can read more about the event on Charleston Illinois’ website.
City of Effingham 4th of July Fireworks
The City of Effingham will hold its 4th of July fireworks show on Tuesday, July 4, 2023 starting at dusk (around 8pm).
The fireworks will be held at the Effingham High School Sports Complex, 1301 Grove Ave., Effingham, IL 62401.
We’re so glad that this year, most cities in central IL have resumed their fireworks displays.
Stay safe and have a wonderful time celebrating Independence Day!
What fireworks events are we missing? Be sure to put them in the comments below!
Join Our Email List
Join our newsletter for weekly emails about senior interest topics like Medicare, health and fitness, gardening, retirement planning, and more!Sign Up!